i hadn't been able to put the book down...i was in a bookstore with an english section on saturday and found the book. i took it to starbucks, sat down, turned to the page i was at and continued to read..for part of the 3.5hr bus ride home from down south yesterday i finished the book...i felt exhausted, relieved, content and a sense of hope...this is definitely the most thought provoking and unexpected books i have read in a very long time...
i wonder where you are all at?
The next book is . . .
Sept - Oct 2010 ----Yvette - Dirt Music by Tim Winton, ISBN 9780330490269
Nov - Dec 2010 ---- Nicole
Jan - Feb 2011 ---- Bean
March - April 2011 ---- Brooke
May - June 2011 ---- Julie
July - August 2011 ---- Nat
Sept - Oct 2011 ---- Gemma
Nov - Dec 2011 ---- Kerrie
Jan - Feb 2012 ----
March - April 2012 ----
May - June 2012 ----
Nov - Dec 2010 ---- Nicole
Jan - Feb 2011 ---- Bean
March - April 2011 ---- Brooke
May - June 2011 ---- Julie
July - August 2011 ---- Nat
Sept - Oct 2011 ---- Gemma
Nov - Dec 2011 ---- Kerrie
Jan - Feb 2012 ----
March - April 2012 ----
May - June 2012 ----
Tim Winton - Dirt Music
I am looking forward to start reading this book, been meaning to read for while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Just finished The Kite Runner. I have to say why haven't I read it before now?
Fantastic read, very good story.
I kept thinking about a boy I use to teach who came to the UK - just him, his younger sister and his older brother. I knew parts of their story, but not everything. I think it will take a long time to hear all of the history of Afghanistan.
Have just finished the kite runner today. I would have to say that I found the first 1/3 of the book a little hard to get into but from then on I couldn't put it down.It was a very thought provoking and at times culturally challenging read.
I am very glad I have read the book, it was so well written at times I thought it was a true story instead one of fiction.
My favourtie part was when the main character finally uncovered all the families hidden secrets and found the little boy, realising that he was actually his only family member that hadn't been killed or dead and took him back to America.
I loved this book. I have a particular interest in reading about different cultures, and the middle east is certainly an area where there is alot of unknowns to the western world. I finished it awhile ago and thought I had posted already, oops. It was a satisfying read, and Im glad it didnt end in a completely content ending as this would really have ruined the reality that it so cleverly described. Brooke i agree - i forgot many times throughout reading that it was fiction and not a true story.
I have just finsihed reading another amazing book. Quite challenging, but easily one of the bext things Ive ever read. It's called Infidel, and is the memoirs of a Somalian woman called Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The book follows her life as a Muslim living in several different countries in her life, before escaping an arranged marriage, and heading to the Netherlands where she eventually becomes a Dutch politician and freedom fighter, now living with armed guards. Ayaan has had a remarkable life and is a truly inspiring woman. The book taught me alot about the Islamic world and religion, politics and African/Middle east practices. As said at the start, it's not a light read, but definently recommended.
So what's next ladies of the book club?
Post a Comment